- Self-Directed IRAs
- Other Tax-Advantaged Accounts
- Self-Directed Investment Options
- How to Get Started
- The Equity Trust Advantage
- Resources for Individual Investors
- Specialized Custody Solutions
- Custodial Accounts
- Alternative Investments
- Innovation & Technology
- Resources for Investments
- About Us
Traditional IRA, SEP IRA, or SIMPLE IRA account owners are required to begin taking minimum distributions from the account when they reach age 70½ and continue taking these annual minimum distributions for as long as they hold the account.
The first required minimum distribution is six months after your 70th birthday. The IRS gives you until April 1 of the year following the calendar year in which you reach age 70½ to make the first withdrawal. Going forward, your RMD must be withdrawn by December 31 of each calendar year for as long as you hold the account.