Considering Investing in Mutual Funds with Your Equity Trust Self-Directed Account? Here’s How it’s Possible
If you plan to begin alternative investing with a self-directed IRA or other account, you can have your account open and funded, even if you don’t have an investment lined up yet. That way, when an opportunity does materialize, you’ll be ready to act on it.
But what if you want your savings to work for you while you’re waiting to find that real estate or other alternative investment? Or, what if you want to invest in mutual funds while you’re investing in alternatives without the complexity of accounts at two different custodians?
It is possible to invest in mutual funds with your self-directed IRA or other account at Equity Trust.
With the account management system myEQUITY, investors can choose which mutual funds they want to invest in from their internet-enabled device.
How to invest in mutual funds in a self-directed IRA at Equity Trust
Here are the three easy steps to investing in mutual funds within your self-directed IRA or other account at Equity Trust:
- Log in at www.myEQUITY.com and navigate to Investment > Mutual Funds to begin the step-by-step Mutual Fund Wizard. Complete the wizard to submit your request to purchase mutual funds in your self-directed account
- Equity Trust will review your transaction
- Transactions will settle on the next day (the trade date plus one – “T+1”)
The first mutual fund purchase in your self-directed account at Equity Trust account does require some additional set-up and will take 48 hours for Equity Trust to review and process. Additional purchases in a fund will typically be completed in one business day.
The Mutual Fund Wizard provides you with the option to easily buy and sell mutual funds, all directly within your Equity Trust IRA. As always, please be sure to discuss your specific needs and circumstances with a financial advisor to determine which funds may be best suited for your needs and review each fund’s prospectus and statement of additional information in detail.*
The online wizard is a simple, straightforward way to invest in mutual funds with your Equity Trust self-directed IRA.
Questions regarding the process to set up an Equity Trust account and invest in mutual fund assets? Schedule a free consultation.
Already have an Equity Trust account? Contact our Client Services Team at 1-888-382-4727, option 2, between 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
*Fees may apply to trades. Refer to your fund’s Prospectus for more information.
Yes. Some IRA custodians only allow investing in stocks, bonds and mutual funds; however a self-directed IRA custodian, such as Equity Trust, allows those types of investments in addition to real estate, notes, private placements, tax lien certificates and more.
There are several reasons to open your self-directed account at Equity Trust Company, even before you have selected an alternative investment.
- If you are transferring cash/assets to your account from another custodian, you should allow time for the resigning custodian to process your request and deliver the account holdings to Equity Trust.
- You have the ability to invest in traditional assets while you are researching other opportunities.
- Once you have selected an alternative investment, you will not have other actions in process that may delay the funding processing.
Get answers to your questions and learn more about building wealth with tax advantaged accounts.Contact Us