- Self-Directed IRAs
- Other Tax-Advantaged Accounts
- Self-Directed Investment Options
- How to Get Started
- The Equity Trust Advantage
- Resources for Individual Investors
- Specialized Custody Solutions
- Custodial Accounts
- Alternative Investments
- Innovation & Technology
- Resources for Investments
- About Us
The following was written by guest blogger Kris Benson.
We talk with a lot of investors everyday who ask us a simple question: “Why should I invest in self-storage?” Obviously, as a self-storage operator we are biased but there are three data points that we believe make this an ideal asset class for investors to evaluate for their own portfolios.
1. The Potential for Outstanding Returns
The first thing to look at is historical performance. According to the National Association of REIT (NAREIT)*, the Self-Storage asset class has achieved an average annual return of 16.85 percent over the past 25 years.
Self-Storage has outperformed Apartments (12.93 percent), Retail (12.04 percent), Office (12.15 percent), and the S&P 500 (7.06 percent) over that same time period.